Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Welcome

                                


Hi, you can call me Phoenix. Welcome to my blog. I plan to use this space to talk about issues of difference. It is a sad fact that these issues still attract significant amounts of hate and discrimination. There is still intolerance in the workplace, in schools, in the community and, sadly, within families. For many of us it is difficult to talk about the issues that matter to us mostly due to fear of retribution from anti-gay elements in our society that are not only vocal, but violent when it comes to LGBT issues. Watching and reading the news through different media leaves me feeling dis-empowered and without a say in my own life. Currently, because I am lesbian I am not allowed to marry, adopt children, or even foster. I have a high chance of being discriminated against in the work place and in the community. And I have a higher chance of being the victim of violence than the 'straight' members of the community. I no longer want to feel powerless. I have found my voice. I will have my say. I hope you will have your say too.

Cheers,
Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment